Table of Contents
This is a get started guide to help schools and institutions to start using Gooru Navigator for Learners and Gooru Navigator for Instructors. It will describe the various steps to take and links to resources. This will help you get up and running quickly and guide you on how to find further information.
What major challenges is Navigator solving for you?
- You own your own data and are given tools to leverage it, understand it, and to make it work for you.
- You, your teachers, and students gain a rapidly expanding research-backed map of learning, and GPS-like tools that guide you.
- You join a community built tool, built by fellow schools, researchers, educators, and even students to solve your very real challenges. By working together, every challenge solved is shared with the whole ecosystem to the benefit of everyone!
How to sign up
- Note this is a guide for setting up a school, If you are an independent instructor, consider using the completely free Gooru Navigator for instructors by following the Independent Instructors startup guide here.
- If you are a school, and you are ready to sign up for the school account, pay the fee and sign the MOU, then fill in the Schools sign up form. If you need more info you can learn more here, or contact us here.
- Whole School signups require a custom tenancy, to give you access to mission control, detailed reporting, and many important features. For this, you will be required to pay a $1 per active learn per year fee ($2K, $5K and $10K minimum per school or district with up to 5,000, 5,000 to 10,000 and 10,000+ users, in the order) and sign an MoU. This will soon become an automated step, but for now, we will help you directly through this. After signup, You will be contacted by the Gooru Team within 48 hours, with the next steps.
- We will guide you through creating a custom tenancy and rostering your students, by referring you to the below guides:
How to create a tenancy
- After you have signed up for a school account, we will require that you provide us detailed information about how you want your Tenancy (your customized Navigator for your school) to look like and configured as. You will be required to complete this Tenancy Creation Form. Soon you will be able to do this directly through Gooru Navigator for Administrators, but for now, we will help you directly.
- After submitting that form, Your tenancy will then be set up as defined within it.
- Gooru will send you a notification that the tenancy has been created within 2 working days, with a link to your tenancy and information about the next step in the process (Roster your users)
How to roster learners
- Depending on how you have your user information stored we will use an appropriate process to roster your users. Soon you will be able to bulk roster your users within Gooru Navigator, but for now, we will assist you directly
- If you DO use OneRoster, then we will reach out to you to set up the integration
- If you DO-NOT use OneRoster, we will ask you to complete this template. You will need to make a copy of this file, fill it in and email it back to us at Partner@gooru.org. (Note that this file also includes the next step of setting learners initial location, we will do both at the same time with this file)
- We will then ask you how you would like to set the initial starting location for your learners (See next step below)
How to set a starting location for learners
- If you are using MAP scores or other standardized scores to set your user’s initial Skyline (locations), we will ask you to complete this template. You will need to make a copy of this file, fill it in and email it back to us at Partner@gooru.org.
- After submitting that template, we will set your user’s locations and you will get notified.
- You can also set the starting location for learners, by providing them a diagnostic when they first log in, Having their teacher manually set their level, or setting a global default by for example setting the grade level for the entire cohort.